Friday 12 August 2016

Refashion Friday: The Refashioners 2016 Result!


Ohmygoodness have you even seen the refashions coming out of this year's Refashioners blogger challenge hosted on at Portia's Makery blog?! TOO MUCH AWESOMENESS!!!!! I genuinely didn't expect the level of innovation AND wearability from every single instalment so far. If this doesn't get sewers running for their nearest charity shop/thrift store/op shop, then literally nothing will. Well, until they see my contribution perhaps!! I jest. I'm really pleased with the three projects I created from the three (ok, it ended up being four) pairs of unwanted jeans pictured below.


The garments I made are useful, well-made items that I know will see lots of use. However, I'm just not in the headspace these days to respond to this brief as creatively as the other bloggers seem to have so far. But no matter, if I have been able to inspire some people to look to existing textiles rather than always opting for metres of new fabric to indulge their passion and clothe their kids, then I couldn't be happier.


So what did I make? In short I made a pair of stretch denim jeggings for Dolores, two denim bucket hats (one for Dolores, one for the mini-dude I'm growing), and a pair of appliquéd dungarees (also for He-who-has-yet-to-be-born). As I mentioned in my previous post, I was interested in using this year's Refashioners challenge brief to explore the different types of denim that are used to make mass-produced jeans, and to figure out suitable projects to best utilise the variety of properties. More details of the why's and how's of what transpired can be found on my post over at the Makery blog, but basically there was a lot of this type of thing going on:


What's been your favourite of the blogger jeans refashions so far? For me, from what we've seen so far, it's a toss up between Rosie's graduated shades of denim dress, Joost's epic denim shoes and Megan Nielsen's panelled dress. Don't forget that there's a hefty prize for the winner of the community challenge, so why not have a bash at a jeans refashion yourself?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Those dungas are killing me!

Kathryn said...

I love your makes Zoe! I've got two bucket hats (made out of scraps) waiting to be sewn up but now I'm wondering why I didn't think of using denim for one before. Those dungarees are just so cute too!!

Maria said...

Dear Zoe,
I think your makes are just wonderful, and what I love most about them are that they are achievable. I´m a mom of two young ones myself, and I can´t see myself draping a dress with cutouts or sewing shoes anytime soon (although I love the shoes). But your makes really inspired me to get out the sewing machine again! Thank you!

Mother of Reinvention said...

Those bucket hats are so cute and really useful for this time of year. I am really enjoying seeing all the refashions. Xx

Christals Creations said...

Love them. Hats always useful and the signatures are so cute.

Christals Creations said...

Love them. Hats always useful and the signatures are so cute.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...